Jake is Founder and CEO of UpsideHōM, and Founder/Investor at Papa.
1. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to start a business as a kid. I come from a big family of entrepreneurs and knew I wanted to build something that was going to positively impact a lot of people.
2. Where in the world are your family roots?
My family is originally from eastern Europe and most fled during WW2. My dad's family moved to NYC and my mom's side moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina.
3. Are there any older people in your life who shaped your path and character? If so, who?
Yes. I was very close with my grandparents on my mom's side from Argentina. They moved to the US after my mom was born and I watched as they grew old. I helped them throughout their aging journeys and they inspired me to create both of the companies I founded - Papa named after what we called my grandfather, and UpsideHōM for my Grandma, who was left alone when he passed away.
4. What is your best / earliest / strongest memory of this person?
Going to work with my grandfather in his custom furniture factory. He was an entrepreneur and built a great business from nothing. He moved to this country with nothing and lived the American Dream. I think I get my drive and ambition from him.
4. What is a quote / something they always say / said?
"My money is on you, Jake."
5. What is the most valuable thing you learned from them?
Don't give up, ever. You build little by little and before you know it, you've built something great.
6. Kids these days will never know the simple pleasure of …
Going through developed photos with their grandparents.
7. What do you hope your grandkids will say about you one day?
That I left the world a little bit better than I found it.
8. If you could pick from the Tree of Knowledge and solve one problem, what would it be?
I'd like to provide equal access to education for everyone. I believe good education is at the core of a healthy society.