Romy Pikoos is one of the first Montessori Dementia Consultants in the UK and a specialist Occupational Therapist with a decade of experience in Alzheimer’s and dementia care. Originally from Australia, Romy is a true thought leader bringing innovative methods to give a voice to people with dementia in their everyday lives.
We asked Romy a few questions about her family roots, and the older people who influenced her most.
1. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up?
A famous actress.
2. Where in the world are your family roots?
Greece, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa, Lithuania, Russia.
3. Are there any older people in your life who shaped your path and character? If so, who?
4. What is your best / earliest / strongest memory of this person?
Strongest memory of my dad – with 3 daughters he always taught us to stand on our own 2 feet, never to rely on a man or anyone else.
My mom is the most caring, thoughtful, selfless person. I cannot recall a memory in my life where my mom would take/eat dinner until we had all started eating.
5. What is a quote / something they always say / said?
My dad always said we can do anything we put our minds to.
6. What is the most valuable thing you learned from them?
Dream big, see the world every day with fresh eyes.
7. If you could go back in time and whisper in the ear of any public figure in history, who would it be and what would you say?
A bit morbid but probably Hitler – “don’t do it!”
8. Kids these days will never know the simple pleasure of …
Pressing record on the cassette tape at the exact moment the song started.
9. What do you hope your grandkids will say about you one day?
She always brought the fun.